Pages


Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Popovers

Saturday mornings are a special time in my house. An alarmless start to the day is followed by a large steaming mug of coffee and serious contemplation about something ‘special’ to whip up for breakfast. This Saturday, I finally decided to make something that has enchanted me for most of my adult years, despite my never having eaten or seen one– popovers.


Armed with a brand new popover pan from World Market and 4 simple ingredients, I started whipping these up – 40 minutes later, I popped them out of my oven for a truly special Saturday morning breakfast! I have no idea why these are not more ubiquitous on breakfast menus or in bakeries– they are so easy to make and lend themselves to endless topping options. We ate ours with a dollop of butter (well, margarine, but butter sounds better) and a smear of homemade jam.



Popovers
Ingredients


• 2 eggs
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup milk (I used skim)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a popover pan or six custard cups.
2. Beat eggs slightly with a wire whisk. Gently beat in flour, milk, and salt until just smooth – do not overbeat.
3. Fill popover cups ½ full.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes more. Do not open oven while cooking.



Slide from cups and serve piping hot.

1 comment:

  1. Amma says after looking at your blog "it is difficult to remember the items we should ask Haru to make when we go there. We should write them down and keep"

    ReplyDelete